Off to Thailand!

To celebrate my 70th birthday, my darling daughter treated me to a trip to China, fulfilling a desire from my early childhood.  We chose Friendly Planet to guide us, and they did not disappoint.  It was the best trip of my life, and I've taken more than a few.

Our family Mother's Day tradition is for this same daughter and her two daughters to treat me to a mani-pedi.  While enjoying being pampered, she mentioned to me that the latest brochure had arrived from Friendly Planet.  She and I had also just read "This Is How It Always Is," by Laurie Frankel, a book we both genuinely enjoyed, in which Rosie, a doctor, goes to Thailand.  Laurie Frankel's descriptions made us both want to hop on a plane right away.

In this latest brochure, Friendly Planet offered a tour to Thailand which was unbelievably inexpensive.  And it included airfare!  She encouraged me to take my husband and go.  My granddaughters overheard us and asked, "Go where?"  When we said "Thailand," they both said, "We want to go!"  I responded that we could take them with us if Mom and Dad would foot the bill.  By the time we returned to her house, we had decided that we should all - all 6 of us - go together.  So we fly on Wednesday.

I have purchased linen pants and linen shorts to stay comfortable in the heat and humidity of Thailand.  We have both Baht and new-looking US dollars.  The flight is long - 14 hours, so I have a down blanket that rolls up to fit in my backpack and a travel-size "My Pillow" to help me sleep on the flight.  

I hope to write daily entries to this blog.  Share this adventure with us!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intro to Travel Like a Scotsman

Taipei at 4 AM

Countdown - Before You Go